Friday 5 April 2013

Mini art trips

Our next adventure was a quick trip up to Mount Gambier, in South Australia.  The countryside is now very dry and barren due to the long dry spell, and the frequent winds.  The deciduous trees are losing their leaves as autumn develops.  The green European feel of the area has faded and the dry weather, plus the prevalence of kangaroo road kill has emphasised the country as being very much an Australian one.   The late Hal Porter used to sketch the old buildings and graveyards in the Western District, and I think most landscape artists could find something worth depicting round here, whether it be the sometimes savage coast, or the slightly Irish feeling villages, or the areas of bush, or the rather scalped farmland.

We walked round the Blue Lake, at Mt. Gambier,  and it was a very different walk to my long trek in winter.  This time we panted and sweated as we pushed the pram around the volcanic edge of the lake, keeping a sharp eye out for snakes, but only spotting skinks and finches.  I had no time for art, but did mull over future plans.

The weather changed to strong winds as we returned to Melbourne, and we kept the radio on  the ABC' s 107.9 because we had been warned about possible bush fires.  No time for visiting the very good art gallery in Hamilton, unfortunately.  We saw smoke looming up as we drew near Ballarat, but the radio informed us that it was 30 kilometres south of the highway, so we were safe, though very wary.  I don't know how country people manage to be so brave.  My instinct is to head in the opposite direction rather than stay and fight a fire, or stoically prepare my property.  As it was, we heard that two homes were destroyed in this fire.  Entering Melbourne though, more smoke loomed.  This time a factory was on fire.  I guess you cope with what life throws at you, whether you live in the country or the city.

In Melbourne, we celebrated Easter with the family, and one of my young friends surprised me with theis plate she painted for me:


 
Then, through the kindness of friends and family, I managed to get my necessary dose of arts and craft.  I was taken for a quick trip to the National Gallery of Victoria to see the latest Top Arts Exhibition - the exhibition of the best of  last year's  VCE Art and Studio Arts students.  As usual, it was very inspiring to see the talent and variety of work that the young artists are capable of.  And, as usual, it was very different to the style and work of the previous year.

 I liked a lot of the pieces.   This dress is by Remy Wong and is called "Urban Huntress":


This linocut, "Devolution", is by Julia Bergin.



Eloise Freeman's portraits:



And this is one of three pieces by Alfred Evans.


My young companion was, however more interested in making her own art than appreciating the work of others.  Here are some of the pieces we created.  Can you  work out which faces were decorated by a two year old ?

 

  I had a quick look at this sculpture by Geoffrey Bartlett ("Double self-Portrait)), the heads in the foyer:


 ( "Trophy" by Charles Robb)


(Ian Bow's "Head of Venus").

Then, I admired the design of the chairs outside in the passage,

 
 then stopped for lunch in the city square, which I find rather ugly, yet arresting, and rather good at adapting to the different needs of its users.

 
I have seen photography exhibitions, dance classes and  retrospectives in this space and they have all worked well.  Even the two year old enjoyed it - pretending to be at a beach with her mum on the deckchairs,

 and spotting herself on the large screen.

My next mini excursion was to one of my favourite shops in Melbourne -  Kazari Gallery.  This time I was kindly ferried to the main shop, its accompanying warehouse and its textile shop.  I love their Japanese and Chinese antiques, textiles, and objects.  Even though there was a very good sale, I managed to contain myself and only buy some blue and white fabric to add to my stack.

 
 What a pity I am not extravagantly rich.  Then I could have bought the wooden screens, the doorway, the tables, the cupboards, the pram, the picture, the indigo fabric, the sake jugs........as well!  Maybe this will be the year I manage to sell a lot of my work for vast sums and be able to go shopping at Kazari with a full wallet!

Another  excursion was to AK Traditions.  My two year old companions were given a  little felt toy each by their very generous mother.



 I bought a few patterns - for a camel and a hare - and some felt and wool.  As a result, I have now managed to finish my woolen doll and one of her outfits,


and am nearly finished making a little hare  (he is not quite dressed.  I still need to make his trousers).


Coming home to Brisbane, I finished off my latest landscape.


I also finished embroidering my fish.  He is now ready to varnish!


And, I went on a shopping trip at my three favourite art supply stores to top up my supplies:
the Art Shed, Oxlade and Discount Art Warehouse.  I am now ready for more ink paintings.   



No comments:

Post a Comment